Send Richard a voice mail message

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Title of the Lesson: What are Some of the Major Differences between the Student-engaged and Teacher-directed Models of Teaching? Part Four


When mentoring our pre-service and in-service teachers we need to describe and model both research-based and clinically tested best practices. This is one of many lessons we will be sharing on teaching Judaic content, lesson planning, models of teaching, differentiated and individualized instruction and learning activities designed to transform the classroom into a Jewish community of cooperative learners. The title of this lesson is “What are Some of the Major Differences between the Student-engaged and Teacher-directed Models of Teaching”. Since there are 13 elements in each lesson plan we will divide this lesson plan into four parts. Here are the first, second, and third parts of this lesson on the major differences between the student-engaged and teacher directed models of teaching. The fourth part of this lesson follows.

Closure: (Activity that summarizes and ends the lesson)

The teacher ends the lesson by inviting students to complete these six sentences:

1. If I were teaching about the Hagim, I would use the presentation model of teaching to ...

2. If I were teaching about the Hagim, I would use the direct-instruction model of teaching to ...

3. If I were teaching about the Hagim, I would use the concept attainment model of teaching to ...

4. If I were teaching about the Hagim, I would use the classroom discussion model of teaching to ...

5. If I were teaching about the Hagim, I would use the cooperative learning model of teaching to...

6. If I were teaching about the Hagim, I would use the problem-based model of teaching to ...

On the next post we will begin our exploration of lesson plans designed to help mentees understand how to implement best practices to reach all students in the classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jewish Education News Blog

Richard D. Solomon's Blog on Mentoring Jewish Students and Teachers

http://nextleveljewisheducation.blogspot.com/